Medical endocrinology is the study of diseases caused by hormonal dysfunction.
A hormone is a chemical messenger which is produced by specialized secretory cells and has an action on cells nearby (paracrine) or at a distance (endocrine).
The endocrine system co-ordinates the activities of different cells and tissues thereby maintaining homeostasis.
This section covers the following topics:
- basic knowledge in endocrinology:
- synthesis, storage, release & transport of hormones
- control of hormone concentrations
- testing endocrine function
- epidemiology of endocrine disease
- general clinical features in endocrine disease
- endocrine diseases and conditions