- recent middle-ear surgery - flying is contraindicated for 10 to 14 days (1)
- dental surgery - flying is contraindicated for 2 to 5 days
- otitis media - flying is contraindicated (2)
- acute or chronic sinusitis - flying is contraindicated (2)
- recent tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy - flying is permitted once risk of bleeding abated
- upper respiratory tract infection - relative contraindication to flying.
Note that these are only guidelines and each airline has its own regulations and medical standards.
- Doctor (April 2005). Ready Reckoner - fitness to fly.
- 'Medical guidelines for air travel', Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine, October 1996, 67, 10, 11.