TSH levels and free T4 levels should be measured to determine the thyroid status
Ideally the following sequence of TFT should be performed in the hypothyroid
woman during pregnancy:
- before conception if possible
- at time of diagnosis of pregnancy
- at antenatal booking
- at least once in second and third trimesters and again after delivery (e.g.
2-4 weeks post-partum)
- the newly diagnosed hypothyroid patient will need to be tested frequently
(e.g. every 4-6 weeks) until stabilized (1).
TFT should be done in pregnant women with:
- type-1 diabetes
- previous history of thyroid disease
- current thyroid disease
- family history of thyroid disease
- symptoms of hypothyroidism (1)